Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Decorating with Mercury Glass

One of my favorite things to decorate with during the holidays is mercury glass, a common term for silvered glass.  This is glass that was blown double walled, then silvered between the layers with a liquid silvering solution and sealed.  


"Mercury" silvered glass was produced originally from around 1840 until at least 1930 and often decorated with a variety of techniques including painting, enameling, etching, and engraving.  Martha Stewart has some really nice information on the history of the glass at their website.
Image: Martha Stewart Living
True antique mercury glass is very collectible and can get expensive, but to be honest, I have plenty of the knockoffs that are widely available today at Pottery Barn, West Elm, Crate & Barrel, etc.  I know, it's not the real thing, but when you're displaying in large groups like I do it helps to save a few dollars where you can!   And I absolutely mix the new with the old.
A lovely collection on an antique pine sideboard.  Image: Southern Living
Image: Country Living
The beautiful warm glow of mercury glass works so well in many room settings and is a great contrast with woods and painted surfaces.    I keep my collection out year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment